Sometimes you are surprised by what happens under your very nose. As I went into winter my front yard was a mess of scraggly twigs and under-acheiving plants overwhelmed by an uncontrolled growth of Russian Sage.
Russian Sage is a nice robust plant but it is invasive and aggressive and spreads underground to pop up from under rocks yards away from the parent plant. Letting it run wild in an enclosed yard is a disaster. I want one bush...not ten...so I've declared war and have been fairly ruthless in cutting and destroying the invasive offspring and completely killing off two large bushes, I have one left and it is under control, mostly.
Much to my surprise, the twiggy war zone of mid-winter turned into a thing of beauty when spring arrived. Here are some pictures...
 |
| Pyracantha |
 |
| A variety of Scotch Broom |
 |
| Goldfish Pond |
 |
| Mexican Bird of Paradise tree |
 |
| New Mexico Willow |
 |
| Even the sky gets into the act |
 |
| Buddy, my adopted quail |
I was about to have much of this ripped out because it looked so bad last winter. The Russian Sage tried to kill off one of the Bird of Paradise trees but they have both survived. The sage is by the gate and it will be blooming next. My Red Photensia bush already bloomed --- it looked like a viburnum with red leaves. It is next to the waterfall. I have a Mountain Mahogany on the outside of the wall that looks better and bloomed early. My wild rose bush bloomed once and my Lilac bloomed even though it is onlt two feet tall.
No comments:
Post a Comment